Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Put a twist on your traditional chocolate cake with the fusion of sweetness and bitterness in this Red Wine Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting.Browse through the KitchenAid appliances used to make this recipe possible:KitchenAid 21L Digital Countertop OvenKitchenAid 6QT Artisan Stand Mixer
For the cake
- 2 cups all-pupose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder not Dutch process
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 pcs large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup sauvignon wine or any dry wine
For the frosting
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 130 grams cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 ½ tbsp strawberry puree
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- Make the cake: Preheat the KitchenAid 21L Digital Countertop Oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a bowl, combine and whisk, the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a KitchenAid stand mixer attached with the whisk accessory, beat the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one by one, and beat until incorporated. Scrape down sides and bottom. Add vanilla and beat again. Change the accessory to flat beater. Working in alternate batches, add in and beat the dry ingredients and the wine.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes until it passes the toothpick test.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before letting it cool on to a rack completely. Cling wrap and chill in refrigerator.
- Make the frosting: Using the flat beater accessory, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the cream cheese until combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar in between mixing. When fully whipped, add the strawberry puree, vanilla, and salt. Beat until mixed and transfer the frosting to a piping bag.
- Frost the cake: Pipe one layer of the cake into spiral to cover entire surface. Place strawberry slices on top. Top with another layer of cake and do the same. Crumb coat the sides of the cake and chill for at least 20 minutes until the frosting sets.
- Make a final coat of frosting evenly on the entire cake.
- Decorate with fresh flowers and strawberries.